Wednesday, July 22, 2026


Friday the 17th was my 48th birthday!  It was also my first night working alone at the group home. The five ladies that lived there and the three staff members all signed a card for me. That was nice! No, I didn’t receive 48 yellow roses, that’s a Google stock image! 
I feel like life is just beginning, ironically. Kevin and I really did great with picking up and moving to Austin. Some old people are mad, but wow we really like it here. 
Here are some pictures showing just how much Jordan is enjoying his new home:






This bride wore her grandmother’s wedding gown with ZERO alterations. That’s impressive. A lot of brides nowadays who are wearing their moms’ wedding gowns are taking out the poofy sleeves that were popular in the 80’s and 90’s and making them sleeveless. This gown looks like the 1950’s and fits perfectly with this era and on her granddaughter as well. 


Last but not least, I really got it easy at this job. I only work until 8 am, but the action doesn’t start until 6:30-6:45 or so. Yes I have to give these ladies medications, but they all take it. It’s only difficult when they refuse to take it. They all know exactly what they take too. It’s because we have to remind them what it is, what it’s for, and what some side effects are as we give it. This not only helps us not make an error (if we do, they speak up- for instance, I picked up a sheet of medication for the evening and the lady knew right away that it was for the evening and mentioned it just as I saw evening marked on it) but it also helps with consent and them knowing what they’re taking and not thinking they’re being “drugged”. 
I also have to log bed checks every hour at night. This takes about 30 seconds. I just make sure they’re breathing honestly. They don’t have accidents at all. It’s really laxxed there. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Glad that everyone, including Jordan, is enjoying your new home in Austin. Also fab that your new job is going great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I looks like your cat still has a lot of kitten in him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! That wedding dress is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete