Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Crazy Quilt Blocks and Daily Tidbits

I finished a few crazy quilt blocks. They are pictured below. The large floral strip will be a border. They’ve been ironed and put away for the next time I have a lot of scraps. 

This morning, Kevin worked while I was off. We usually work together on the same crew, but once in a while the big boss only wants to send salaried people to some accounts that she probably isn’t making much on. I’m hourly, so I get a day off by myself. Last night, I found out that the port workers went on strike so I decided to do a major shopping trip this morning. I went 30 miles away to the town of Brenham because there were some appealing opportunities on two of the apps I do little side jobs on, both in Brenham. I then hit up both Walmart and H-E-B, which are across the street from each other there. I bought all of our favorite frozen foods, several of our favorite canned foods, 12 and 24 packs of all our favorite drinks, and a few fridge staples. Don’t get me wrong, I really hope the port workers get what they deserve. In fact, I think a lot of people in this country need to go on strike, but that’s a rant for another day. I just like to be prepared. And I didn’t want to go to any store in the afternoon or evening when it would be packed. That’s another reason I chose Brenham instead of the other direction, which is a suburb of Houston. Fewer people in the stores. 

I checked out the fabric and craft section at Walmart in Brenham, and found several fat quarters for only 50 cents on clearance. If you don’t know what a fat quarter is, it’s quilting fabric 18” by 22”. My goal is to make denim chenille quilts for an Etsy shop. They are denim chenille on the back and have cotton quilting fabric on the front. I got 50 cent fat quarters in lavender (4 of them), gray (6), navy blue (3), and pastel blue (4). That was all they had. I should hit up other Walmarts when I have time. 

I think I actually did a great job shopping in the two stores even though my mind was racing a little bit. I suffer from anxiety and ADHD, so sometimes a 100% smart shopping trip is a crap shoot. But this time I did pretty good!  One thing I need to make sure I sit down and do-  I need to sit down with my two favorite cookbooks- The Joy of Cooking and my dad’s old Fanny Farmer cookbook- and make my own recipe cards for shopping trips. I absolutely done googling recipes, because I can’t handle the insanely long articles that precede!  





 




6 comments:

  1. Its difficult to find the actual recipe on some of the recipe websites. I like to watch cooking instagrams and tiktoks but then I can never seem to find that one particular one I want, when I decide to make the recipe and still have to write down the ingredients I'll need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them you need to keep hitting pause as you write it down, but who has time for that?

      Delete
  2. Hi and thanks for visiting my blog! I hear you on not googling recipes anymore! All the stuff before drives me crazy! I like when there is a "Skip to Recipe" button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, but they always put that button in a different spot.

      Delete

Cookies 🍪

 Today I made cookies from a cake mix box. I used a Betty Crocker butter pecan box of cake mix and mixed it with 1/2 cup of oil and two eggs...