Saturday, October 12, 2024

Flooring installation, Greek Festival

Weirdly, the day after Kevin decided to give up on wood laminate floor installation, his parents’ old helper (who owes them) called and said he was coming yesterday to do the floors. Kevin and I had to work, and he was disappointed that he couldn’t help but we did move everything out of the room that is going to be my daughter’s room. I then thoroughly swept that room, and here’s what it looked like after clearing it out and sweeping four piles: 



The guy and his helper worked until we were almost home from work. We had just missed them. We assumed they would do my daughter’s room first, but they actually only did our bedroom and left- even though we cleared out my daughter’s new room for them. Grr. But that’s ok. Here’s our bedroom, with the job finished:


The whole time, my cat Alex hid from the strangers. He always hides when people come over. My mother in law was worried sick about my cat. She thought he’d run out and she lost him. I had to send her a text assuring her that he was a master at hiding when strangers were over, and that he was definitely fine. Less than a minute after Kevin and I got home, he walked out of hiding like this, as if nothing had happened. 



Then Kevin and I took my daughter to the Greek festival at my mother’s church in Galveston, Texas. My mom is Greek Orthodox, and it was her home parish that hosted this festival. She worked at a booth that sold raffle tickets. There were vendors there. I bought this little pumpkin that says καλημέρα, or Kalimera- which is Greek for good morning. Or good day. It’s similar to Buenos Dias. 
My mom sends me a “Kalimera” text message each morning when she wakes up. It was only $4. 




I also got this magnet from Athens that features the goddess Athena. I’ve been to Athens twice- when I was 9, and when I was 17.  



I put it with the rest of my fridge magnets. The only other magnet on this fridge that isn’t mine is Kevin’s Rome magnet. As I’ve mentioned, I used to do my side jobs (retail audits) all over Texas and eight other states.  The other cities and states I went to during that time period mostly all have magnets on my fridge representing them. The other states I did these jobs in were Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois. I did not get a Mississippi magnet, because honestly, that place scared me a little. I went to a few small towns near the Louisiana border, and then I just gave up and turned around back into Louisiana. 


Here are some screenshots of the Greek dancers. Kevin loved them. He was impressed when I told him I also used to be in a Greek dance group at festivals when I was a teen. Here’s a compilation link.  It’s not the original music they were dancing to. I just have a hard time with videos on blogger. 

 





1 comment:

  1. I like that pumpkin. Years ago we had a TV show over here with a Greek singer named Nana Mouskouri; and a guest singer called Demis Roussos.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Flooring installation, Greek Festival

Weirdly, the day after Kevin decided to give up on wood laminate floor installation, his parents’ old helper (who owes them) called and said...