Followers

Saturday, August 8, 2026

Coworkers With Audacity

 The home I work in has three other coworkers besides me. One is the supervisor, and the other two are older and have been here many years. The supervisor is older too, but hasn’t been here long. I just want to get this off my chest- I was always raised to not ever sleep on the job. That should be common sense, right?  Not only that, but I was raised that if I’m on the clock I should “always be doing something”, even if it’s dusting the dust. These coworkers are in their late 60’s and early 70’s and were not raised the same way. That’s weird to me, because I thought older people had more of a work ethic than younger people. 

They were getting a lot of overtime before I started, and so far, neither of the non-supervisor ladies have held it against me personally. I’m cognizant that that can change at any time. The supervisor works Monday through Friday 8-4 and the other two ladies alternate the 4- midnight shift and the weekends and my overnights off. I have three overnights off and work two 12 hour shifts and two 8 hour shifts per week. 

Between 9:00 pm and 6:00 am, we are required to log hourly bed checks on the desktop computer in the house. The computer records your time stamp, so you can’t cheat. You just click on each resident’s name and specify if they’re awake, asleep, on leave, or hospitalized. Bed checks for people who sleep well and know how to go to the bathroom take no more than a minute or two. You just look in on them lol. It’s not that serious. You have to be awake though!  That’s what the two coworkers hate. They literally want to sleep on the clock, even on the overtime clock. No, ma'am. I cannot believe their audacity honestly. I want to say something out loud but don’t, because I feel like the minute I do, they’ll start blaming me personally for cutting their hours. One of them, who the supervisor called “the whiniest person she’s ever met” complains because she has a mortgage to pay. I would say I’m sorry about that, but I’m not. People her age have hammered it into me that if I’m not making enough money, I need to figure it tf out with a second job or move onto something else. Younger me would have felt responsible for her mortgage, even though I may not ever be a homeowner. She also said that looking in on the resident ladies hourly every night “is abuse” and I didn’t appreciate that. It’s not abuse. It may be neglect if you’re sleeping by on the job and god forbid something happens. 

This particular coworker wrote a long and scathing email to the boss of the boss of the boss. Like three or four people up. She thought they’d be on her side, but my supervisor said, they aren’t. In fact, it caused her a lot more problems. The higher ups don’t like her now. Oops. I told my supervisor that she said the nightly bed checks were abuse. Supervisor gave me a look and said “Well it’s going to be ‘abuse’ when she loses her job.”  

The other coworker refuses to take the resident ladies out in outings in the van. We are supposed to. Like I mentioned, there is a whole federal law now that says institutionalized disabled people need to be integrated into the community. This coworker said, “Once I start doing that, they’re going to expect me to do it all the time.”  Really, she’s been expected to do it since 2014. I told drunk text boss. If there’s a free concert they want to go to then just schedule me on the 4-12 shift and I’ll take them. Most of their outings would happen in the morning, but the occasional “free concert” is what DTBoss was worried about them missing. It takes getting used to driving a big ass van, but I did it a couple of times when I stayed after 8:00 am and took some of them on doctor appointments. 

I have been through a ton on jobs over the years, and I can’t get over the things they complain about. The one DTboss called whiny complains about the hourly bed checks every time I see her. She says she refuses to do them and goes to bed in the staff room. She said, “What are they going to do, write me up? Fire me?”  I didn’t say this out loud but… yeah. They probably will. She then said the only reason all of this was happening was because mercury was in retrograde.  🥴

I think back to this work readiness class I took in high school, taught by my sophomore English teacher.  He would have keeled over from a heart attack if he heard their lack of work ethic.  

I’m writing this out now, because I’m going in tonight at 8:00 pm and the whiner/ mercury retrograde/ bed checks are abuse lady will be there and I’m scared today will be the day she starts blaming me for all this.  I’m REALLY grateful she hasnt!  I should just hang on to that 


No comments:

Post a Comment

First, a picture of my two babies here in Austin.  Secondly, I found an app called rebound for trauma therapy. I very begrudgingly agreed to...